The skin is the most complex and largest organ in the human body. It plays a vital role in protecting the internal organs and in regulating body temperature. The skin undergoes a series of microscopic structural and compositional changes with age, which in turn affects its function. Therefore, it is important to choose age appropriate products that meet the demands of the skin for optimal health and function. Ideally, skincare for children can be categorized into three groups based on the changes with age - from infants to toddlers (1–3 years), elementary-aged children (4–10 years), and pre-teens (10–12+ years).
Though there are many skincare products available in the market for infants and adults, very few products cater to the demands of growing children aged between 4-10 years, who have a unique skin texture and structure. To begin with, the skin of these children is neither delicate like of babies nor mature like adults. The change in factors like skin thickness, pH, body surface area, skin permeability, skin absorption & desorption, pigmentation, internal moisturizing factors and the development of sweat glands influence the skincare needs of these children. ‘Tikitoro kids’ range of products are thoughtfully curated with safe and effective ingredients, considering each of these requirements for the nourishment of healthy skin. Our formulations packed with natural actives and ingredients which are,
- Gentle: The sweat and sebaceous glands are less active and the lipid barrier is relatively weak which makes the skin less resistant to external toxins and more sensitive to allergens, microbes, UV rays, etc. Our chosen formulas are mild yet effective and preserve the skin’s natural pH needed for optimal protective function.
- Highly moisturizing: The actives are filled with natural moisture boosting properties that help in reducing passive water loss through the loosely packed skin (also known as, Trans-epidermal water loss/TEWL) and maintains the ‘natural moisturizing factors’ (NMF) responsible for supple, hydrated skin.
- Nourishing: The children’s skin cells are immature and the barrier functions are not fully developed. Additionally, it is 3-5 times thinner than adult skin and more prone to damage. The antioxidant and vitamin-rich actives nurture such sensitive skin and support its ideal development.
- Toxin-free: The high body surface-area to volume ratio in children of these ages makes the skin porous and highly penetrable by bacteria, pollutants, allergens, and toxins that cause skin irritation. Due to the high absorption properties of skin, only natural, safe ingredients that are free from toxins like endocrine disruptors are used in the formulation of skin products to prevent growth and hormonal imbalance.
- Soothing: The calming blend of ingredients comfort the delicate skin from redness and rashes due to exposed UV, allergens and toxins.
Meet the Author
Dr. Priya Nethaji has a professional doctorate in Pharmacy. She loves experimenting with skincare products and does extensive research for safe products